Tuesday, May 9, 2017

What Happens When You Stretch

"The nerve endings that relay all the information about the musculoskeletal system to the central nervous system are called proprioceptors."
This quote shows how even though we study each system at different times, they are all connected and all related to each other. So as we leaner about one system we continue to learn about other systems.

"When an agonist contracts, in order to cause the desired motion, it usually forces the antagonists to relax."
This is what we were learning about how when one muscle flexes the opposite muscle relaxes. Take the bicep and tricep for example; when doing curls your arm bends by our bicep contracting while the tricep simaltaneously relaxes.

"...you can get a more effective stretch by inducing the antagonists to relax during the stretch due to the contraction of agonists."
This is something I have never thought about. This is very definitely something i will pay attention next time I am stretching. For example, if I am stretching my hamstrings I will focus on tightening my quads so I can get an even deeper stretch.



Relate & Review
This reading was very interesting. It talked about the effects that stretching has on the muscles. This is definitely something I will use in my own life, ads I probably don't stretch as often or as long as I should. It also gave some interesting techniques for stretching, such as flexing the opposite muscle of the one you are stretching.

No comments:

Post a Comment