Thursday, May 11, 2017

Unit 8 Reflecton

This unit was about the muscular system. Our essential understandings included how muscles are organized and classified, how they work, which are the major muscles, and how muscle fibers and synovial joints work. To start off the unit we choreographed synovial joint dances, which was a fun change of pace activity that helped us learn all of the different synovial joints. My favorite part of this unit was the chicken muscle dissection because we were able to physically see and feel the muscles instead of just looking at pictures of them.
 



We also did a new joint project, where we had to redesign a joint in an attempt to reduce injury risk. My joint was the ulnar collateral ligament located in the elbow, which is frequently injured by baseball pitchers. My redesign included thickening the joint in all directions. Although this would reduce elbow flexibility it would reduce injury risk significantly.












Something that I learned that I can apply to my life is stretching. Most muscles have an opposite, meaning while one muscle is flexing the opposite muscle has to relax. For example if I'm curling my arm, my bicep brachii is flexing (contracting) and my tricep humorus is relaxing (extending). Typically when I stretch my hamstrings I would just bend down and reach for my toes. But now, I know if I flex my quads while I reach for my toes I can go even further because my hamstring is forced to relax even more.

My New Year Goals are going good so far. I have gained weight by lifting and eating more. I currently have a C+ in Anatomy but I'm very close to getting it to a B-.

No comments:

Post a Comment